According to the findings of Aktuálně.cz, there are changes in key positions in the Office for the Protection of the President of the Czech Republic. Radim Kincl, the former deputy director, is headed for its position. He is best known to the public for participating in a celebration in the Prague archdiocese during the covid restrictions. On the contrary, the head of one of the key departments ended up in the protection of the head of state.
On the roof of the Archbishop’s Palace in the grounds of the Prague Castle, on April 27 last year, a celebration was held for the then archbishop Dominik Duka. It took place the day after the Czech Primate’s birthday. Martin Baláž, then director of the Office for the Protection of the President of the Czech Republic, also participated in it. He had his deputy Radim Kincl by his side.
Although it was a celebration, both police officers participated in it with the consent of their superiors for work reasons. However, they did not wear respiratory protection during the event, as required by the then government restrictions against the spread of the covid-19 epidemic. Because of this, they were fined in disciplinary proceedings.
Director Baláž left office on April 30 this year. The reason was the lack of confidence expressed in him by the new president, Petr Pavel. He now works for the police at another duty station. According to the findings of Aktuálně.cz based on two sources from the corps, the mentioned deputy Kincl is to become his successor. He serves as a colonel in the police force.
Deputy for four years
After Baláž’s departure, a bidding process was announced for the post of director. It is open to police officers who work in the same or higher tariff class. Colonel Kincl was the only entry. He passed the audition. The police presidium headed by Martin Vondrášek is ready to appoint him to the post. However, he does not officially comment on the change.
“If a suitable candidate is not found through the bidding process, a selection process is announced, where applicants in a lower tariff class can apply, which has not yet happened in this case. We assume that the result of the bidding process will be announced to the public on May 15,” he said Aktuálně.cz Presidium spokesman Jozef Bocán.
After the resignation of director Baláž, Colonel Kincl was entrusted with the management of the unit, after the expected appointment by the police presidium, he will become the proper head of the presidential guard. He worked his way up to its management in March 2019. At that time, he took over the post of deputy from Colonel Vladimír Mach. Kincl won a place in the selection process.
He originally worked in the Protection Service of the Police of the Czech Republic, which takes care of the security of constitutional officials, such as the prime minister, ministers and diplomats. He was responsible for their protection during transport. He then served in the office of the police presidium during the administration of Tomáš Tuhý, from where he returned to the protection service. He then headed to the presidential guard.
Intervention at FAMU because of the Tibetan flag
Major Pavel Dalešický, on the other hand, is retiring from the Office for the Protection of the President of the Czech Republic, he has decided to retire to civilian life. He worked as a high commissioner in the presidential guard. He managed the personal protection department, which is one of the most demanding parts of the department. It provides short-term protection of the president during his movement in the field.
“Unfortunately, we are not in a position to comment on issues related to the course of service of specific police officers,” said Presidium spokesman Jozef Bocán to questions from the editors regarding Dalešický’s departure from the service. According to information from Aktuálně.cz, the officer was close to former castle protocol officer Vladimír Kruliš.
Former head of the presidential security Martin Baláž. | Photo: Office of the President of the Republic
Major Dalešický took part in contradictory measures taken by the police during the visit of Chinese President Xi Jinping to Prague in March 2016. During it, the officers repeatedly intervened against people who protested against the stay of the head of the Chinese communist regime. Dalešický sent the police to the FAMU building, on the balcony of which a Tibetan flag was displayed.
“This procedure was contrary to the instructions and to the fulfillment of the purpose of the risk assessment to ensure the safety of the protected person,” an internal police investigation described his misconduct. Dalešický defended himself by saying that the Chinese president was supposed to pass by the FAMU building. In addition, Chinese activists with sticks were moving near the building, and he feared that the flag of Tibet might provoke them.
“I don’t feel trust”
Changes in the presidential security took place after the election of Petr Pavel in January this year. Contrary to custom, the aforementioned protective service immediately started guarding him instead of the unit. The reason was Pavlov’s mistrust of the director Baláž, who was closely connected with the head of the castle office at the time, Vratislav Mynář, and protocol clerk Kruliš.
“Being a protected person means having people around you who are with you almost 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They are so close that they see your whole life. You have to trust such people. And I must say absolutely unequivocally that at least to I don’t feel trust in the part of the unit for the protection of the president now,” said Petr Pavel three days after the election of Reflex magazine.
In February, Aktuálně.cz reported that Pavel brought three members of the Military Police, whom he knows from his previous work in the army, to his security. At first they temporarily joined the protection service, after the inauguration of Pavel they joined the Office for the Protection of the President of the Republic. Director Baláž announced his planned departure from the department on February 7.
He became a general last May, promoted by the then president Miloš Zeman. The proposal was submitted by the Minister of the Interior, Jan Hamáček. Baláž met Zeman in October 2016 during his visit to the Zlín region, where the policeman worked. “He asked about the methanol case, and then he was approached and offered this position through the chief of police,” he told Denik N. three years ago.
Leave a Reply