Architect Jan Kotěra founded the School of Architecture in 1910 as an integral part of artistic education at the Academy of Fine Arts. It was originally supposed to be a one-story building in the late modern style with a distinctive cubist portal. After Kotěr’s death, however, he was succeeded by the architect Josef Gočár, who added a new floor to the building with a flat roof and functionalist windows.
The School of Architecture was founded in 1910 by architect Jan Kotěra as an integral part of artistic education at the Academy of Fine Arts. | Video: TV Architect
The program Skryté poklady architektur is prepared by the internet television TV Architect. Check out the other parts of this series.
Gočár, who used the studio on the ground floor of the building, then taught at the School of Architecture until his death. Its extension is carried in the styles of art deco and neoplasticism. In the interior on the top floor, for example, there are distinctive studio windows facing north, which bring plenty of natural light and an impressive view of Stromovka to the students.
See also the Hidden Treasures episode about Kotěr’s tram:
Attention will also be drawn to the preserved spoon-shaped ceiling lamps designed in the 1930s by Gočár’s student Jaroslav Fišer. After the Second World War, architects Jaroslav Fragner and František Cubr carried out partial modifications to the layout.
In 2019, the building was renovated according to the design of the Skupina studio under the leadership of architect Marcela Steinbachová.
Leave a Reply